There is something extremely relaxing about have a picnic, whether that's the food or the atmosphere, or even the combination - who knows? But it is a well-known British tradition to have a picnic as soon as there is a glimpse of sun, it means summer is coming. Having a a picnic in the comfort of your own home means you can bring as much as you like without worrying about carrying it all to your designated spot, as you will only be walking a few feet - if that!
Take a look at our guide on how to have the perfect picnic in your back garden.
What's the point in having a picnic if you don't have all the kit? Here at regatta we have made sure we have all the items you'll need to make your picnic perfect.
- Picnic Mat: Although the grass may look nice to sit on it isn't for long periods of time. Stay comfortable with a super soft picnic mat, available in two other colours - strawberry print and laser blue check.
- Picnic Set: Having a picnic set means that everything is in one place, cutlery, plates, glasses and a the even a bottle opener! This means you won't have to scramble around the house to find cups, plates, etc, you will have it all in this handy set.
- Cool bag: Even though you're only in your back garden it is important to make it feel like you're not. Make sure your drinks and easily perishable items are kept in a cool bag, it can hold up to 15l so you won't need to worry about space!
- Foldaway chairs: Sometimes you don't want to be sitting on the floor, this is where foldaway chairs come in handy.
- Bottles with lids: this is for your little ones, you don't want any unnecessary spillages, also available in pink.
Food & Drink
I'm sure that everyone agrees, the best part of a picnic is definitely the food. Finger foods such as sandwiches, pies, sausages rolls and scotch eggs bring back nostalgic memories for all of us, perhaps that's why they're such a favourite amongst everyone.
- Sandwiches: you can't go wrong with sandwiches, they're a classic. Make sure you've got a wide selection for the whole family...ham and cheese, egg and cress, coronation chicken and cheese and onion. Obviously you make whatever suits your family, but those are a classic combinations. Or why not try putting all the spreads/meats/veggies out and let everyone make their own sandwiches, as not everyone likes the same thing.
- Sides: you need picky bits to go with your sandwiches, why not try hummus and veggies, guacamole and tortilla crisps, sausage rolls, olives, pickles, a selection of meats/cheeses and a few fresh salads - caesar, watermelon and feta, or just a simple side salad.
- Sweet treats: fruit is a staple of a picnic as not only is it delicious but fruit is also refreshing and cool to eat on a hot day. Another British picnic classic are scones, these can either be home-made or simply bought from the shops, and everyone loves a fluffy scone.
- Drinks: Pre-make big bottles of squash and pop them in your cool bag, this means less hassle and you won't have to keep running back into the house every time someone wants a drink. For the adults, treat yourself to a large jug of pimms or your favourite summertime drink of choice.
Once you have got everything you need its time to tuck in and enjoy your picnic feast. Make sure to sneak in at least one of the 5 a day for the kids with our recipe for avocado ice lollies...
Creamy avocado lollies
These lollies are creamy and perfect for a warm day, they also sneakily have greens in them too!
- 2 small ripe avocados - stoned and peeled
- 1 small handful of spinach
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 250ml natural yogurt/vegan yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp honey or agave syrup
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness if necessary,
- Then pour into lolly moulds and freeze overnight.
- Enjoy for dessert or a snack when ready.
Credit: BBC Good Food
It is important to ensure that the kids are kept entertained, here are a few games that will keep them busy:
- Water balloon spoon race: A picnic is a perfect place for a water balloons - which is obviously the perfect recipe for a water fight. The game is playing similarly to an egg-and-spoon relay race, only children are challenged a bit more by balancing the water balloon on a wooden spoon.
- Charades: A classic family game. Split into two groups, the opposing group will give the other team member something to act out to the rest of their team and then they have to guess. Be careful, your competitiveness will be brought out;.
- Sack race: Grab a bin bag and set a start and finish line, watch your little ones race until the end to see who wins.
- Rounders/cricket/football : These are fool proof games and are enjoyed by everyone.
- Twister: The perfect game to play either indoors or outdoors, and is bound to make everyone laugh. Spin the wheel and place your body part on the colour stated.
Make sure you share your tips for the perfect back garden picnic - don't forget to enjoy!